I just told a friend about this book and she said “sounds horrible” and I have to agree, it really does. The title is awful, and that’s why it’s taken me forever to actually start it. I think the only thing that encouraged me was the 4.39 star rating on goodreads! And while I don’t trust the goodreads number when it comes to novels, I feel they are more accurate with non-fiction/science books. People don’t usually read science books unless they have to, or if the book is really good. This one is the latter.
I remember reading “salt, sugar and fat – how the food industry hooked us” and I was floored. And if you don’t think the food industry is feeding us bullshit, you need to take a second look. All the truths I took for granted to be true are not, and I only know it because of these books. The obesity code busts all the food myths! And they make sense!
There’s a part of me that has a hard time believing it because the lies are so ingrained in me, but take for example breakfast – most important meal of the day? Or not? I was never hungry in the morning until I kept hearing breakfast was the most important meal of the day, and I started forcing myself to eat a good meal in the morning. I don’t know who came up with the lie that snacking is good for us, because it keeps our blood sugar leveled and our metabolism working. So now we’re eating 6 meals a day instead of 3 and suddenly the stores are packed with all these amazing snacks that are perfect snack portions and marketed as healthy snacks in between meals. I feel so stupid to have fallen for that lie – eat more! You’ll lose weight!
“But diet and exercise are not fifty-fifty partners like macaroni and cheese. Diet is Batman and exercise is Robin. Diet does 95 per cent of the work and deserves all the attention; so, logically, it would be sensible to focus on diet. Exercise is still healthy and important—just not equally important. It has many benefits, but weight loss is not among them. Exercise is like brushing your teeth. It is good for you and should be done every day. Just don’t expect to lose weight.”
That whole calories in vs calories out lie, don’t even get me started! My relationship with food has been strained for years! This book has made me lower my shoulders and go back to scratch, and it fit’s any diet – so wether, you’re vegan, or a carnivore, or vegetarian or flexitarian, it will fit your wishes and your lifestyle. Because the trick is – there is no trick! Stop eating shit and stop eating all the time! It teaches you 2 things – what to eat and when to eat. And if you follow that, you’re 30% golden, the remaining 70% is genes (?) That may be wrong, but that’s what I got from it. There is no miracle cure for you wanting to be skinnier. But this can help, and just to share my own trials – after 3 weeks I feel much better, less bloated and my relationship with food is much more relaxed.
(I have to admit that I still reach for the low fat shit in the store because I cannot freaking help myself and I am a brainwashed slave to society! *puts back the low fat stuff and gets the normal one in pain*)
If you’re all good and have a healthy relationship with food and you don’t give to shits about diets, the book is still funny. So it’s still a good read. (Or listen if you’re on audible.) I recommend it so much that I think it should be required reading in schools. Of all the stupid unuseful things I was taught in school, this is something that could have helped and benefitted me early in life. Read it as soon as you can!